Plan your kitchen
Simple Steps to plan and measure your diy kitchen.
Planning your diy kitchen reno is paramount. Spending time in the planning phase will mean you get it right and then you will be forever happy in your new kitchen. We have put together a few steps below for measuring and guidance. For more detailed info download our ‘Kitchen Design Guide’ which is a great source for planning your kitchen reno.
1. Inspiration and Ideas
All great renovations start with a dream and ideas. Gather all your ideas on styles, layouts, colours, trends and any aspect that appeals to your taste. A great place to start is our kitchen gallery where you can view some of our customer’s Kitchens and Laundry renovations.
2. Measure The Size of your Kitchen
It’s simple to Measure the size of your kitchen or laundry space but always remember the important saying “measure twice, cut once”! Follow the tips below for accuracy.
- Make sure you have a good measuring tape and it helps if you have a partner or friend to help you measure correct. Accuracy is key for all measurements.
- Start with a piece of A4 paper and simple draw an outline of your kitchen with all elements like in the example above.
- A rough measurement is all we are after but it’s critical to write in any structural features including the floor to ceiling height, floor to window height, top of window to ceiling, measurement of windows (heights and depths), architraves, wall to wall lengths and heights and any appliance spaces such a s fridge, and any other kitchen element such as doorway.
- Add any opening your kitchen may have such as doorways or archways and make sure to add on your outline.
- Make a note of any plumbing like your waste and electrical such as power points in your existing space.
- As you measure write down immediately so you don’t forget – it is helpful to measure in millimetres
Measurements are critical for a Kitchen Design so take your time and if in doubt measure twice to make sure. Don’t worry if you’re not sure we can always arrange a check measure after the design.
As mentioned Download our Design Guide which details “how to measure”. There’s no stress if you’re unsure, at Kitchen Shack we help you through every step and we can always arrange for a final check measure after your free design in the Showroom.
3. Analyse your Kitchen Space
Look at who uses the kitchen and how you all work together including:
- Do kids do homework at the breakfast bar while you cook?
- Does your kitchen double as a laundry?
- Do you enjoy cooking? Careful consideration on appliances is needed.
- How many people use the kitchen at the same time? A different layout is required for two or more chefs cooking at the same time.
- Do you entertain often? Then larger bench spaces would be important.
- Can you use existing power point, gas and water locations to save money?
Don’t forget bring in your images and photographs of kitchens you like as well as your existing kitchen space, this will assist the Designer to understand your home to bring your ideas to life.
The kitchen working triangle previously was a guide for kitchen renovations. Put simply this means a triangle should be drawn between the 3 key work areas – the kitchen sink, fridge and stove. This provides ease of reach and ease of cooking.
We like to think the kitchen has transformed to a working triangle within your kitchen. Those areas of your kitchen that you use the most such as benchtops for meal preparation, storage and areas you access daily. It’s important to consider maximising your existing storage space – it’s one area that all our customers want to address. Once you have sketched your kitchen you are ready to book your design with one of our experienced Designers. You can easily book an appointment online for a free design and on the spot quotation or call us direct at your nearest showroom to make an appointment.
Note: remember to think about your budget. The decision on how much you can afford to spend on the kitchen including trades and appliances. We can help you with your complete kitchen renovation to save you money and time!
Allow at least 90 minutes to work with our Kitchen Designer in the showroom designing your kitchen in 3D and once your kitchen design is complete we provide same day pricing. You will be surprised at our Lowest Prices Guaranteed* – we will beat any price for the same product and service by 5%. That’s our promise to you!
5. Easy – take Delivery, install and enjoy!
Once you are happy with your design and signed the paperwork with a deposit your kitchen order will be placed with our manufacturing before delivered direct to your door. Kitchen Shack kitchens come fully assembled a clear point of difference to save you time and money. You can choose to DIY the installation but this is not an easy task unless you are experienced in this area. You may find it easier and faster to use one of the Recommended Kitchen Shack Installers who will also co-ordinate all trades, saving even more time and headaches. 96% of Kitchen Shack customers prefer this option but it’s up to you.
We look forward to designing your kitchen, laundry, living room or any cabinetry within your home!